MIDDLEBURY, Conn. – The Concordia College New York women's tennis team brought the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Women's Tennis Championship title back to a familiar home in Bronxville, N.Y. on Saturday afternoon, defeating second-seeded Goldey-Beacom College 4-0 in the Championship Match.
• Concordia improves to 13-0.
• Goldey-Beacom falls to 9-2.
• It is the Clippers' eighth CACC Women's Tennis Championship banner, and the first since the 2015 season.
• Junior Ann Kathrin Wirlitsch (Dresden, Germany) was named the CACC Championship MVP, with fellow juniors Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) and Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) plus freshman Ebba Rosberg (Stockholm, Sweden) joining her on the All-Tournament Team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Kathrin Wirlitsch and freshman Alexandra Dumitrescu's (Spring, Texas) swept Silvia Hortelano Pey and Kristin Radeke 6-0 t the third doubles flight.
• Rosberg and fellow freshman Paula Palero (Culera, Spain) clinched the doubles point behind a 6-1 triumph on court two against Alma Garcia Valle and Sara Edebo.
• Karlsson Hantzis Torres Martin were one game away from victory against Mario Bruno and Imane Van Veen at the top position when the doubles point was decided.
• Rosberg won back-to-back 6-1 sets at the first singles position against Salome Lang.
• Kathrin Wirlitch avenged her regular-season setback to Garcia Valle with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at the fifth slot.
• Torres Martin ended the match with a 6-0, 6-2 triumph against Elin Anderson on court two.
• Karlsson Hantzis fell in her opening set to Van Veen at the second flight 7-6 and was down early in the second 1-0 when the match was called.
• Palero trailed Edebo on court four 7-6, 3-0 when the contest was clinched.
• Dumitrestu was down 6-3, 5-3 at the fifth position when the match decision was decided.