GARDEN CITY, N.Y. – The Concordia College New York women's tennis team overcame an early deficit to host Adelphi University on Thursday afternoon, using four triumphs in singles action to defeat the Panthers 4-2.
• Concordia opens the season with a 1-0 record.
• Adelphi falls to 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior Ann Kathrin Wirlitsch (Dresden, Germany) and freshman Alexandra Dumitrescu (Spring, Texas) blanked the Panthers' Julia Kielan and Lea Baschanow 6-0 at the third doubles court.
• The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Regional doubles finalist pairing of freshmen Paula Palero (Cullera, Spain) and Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Rookie of the Week Ebba Rosberg (Stockholm, Sweden) fell 6-2 to Amanda Franstedt and Nicole Stay at the second slot.
• In a battle between the second-ranked duo within in the East Region and 48th nationally and this year's ITA East Regional doubles champions, juniors Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) and Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) fell in the tiebreaker game to defending NE10 Player of the Week Barbie Quagliardi and Nicole Kielan 7-5 at the first position.
• In singles play, Rosberg won back-to-back 6-1 sets over Kielan at the second flight.
• Karlsson Hantzis fell to the last year's top-ranked singles player within the region 6-2, 6-4 on court one.
• Torres Martin outlasted Franstedt 7-5 in the first set at the third slot before cruising to a 6-0 second frame victory.
• Wirlitsch swept Kielan 6-2, 7-5 on court five.
• Palero won a pair of tiebreaker points at the fourth position to clinch the match decision with a 7-6, 6-3, 7-6 triumph.
• With the match decided, Dumitrescu's contest against Baschanow was left unfinished.
The women's tennis team begins Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) play on Saturday, Sept. 21 against Holy Family University with first serve slatted for 11 a.m.