FLUSHING, N.Y. – Freshmen Ebba Rosberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and Paula Palero (Cullera, Spain) showed a promising future for the Concordia College New York women's tennis team in their debuts, with the pair advancing to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Regional Doubles Finals while Rosberg advanced all the way to the Singles Semifinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
• Beginning the singles play in the qualifying bracket, Rosberg earned an unofficial bye in the opening round via a withdrawal due to illness before besting Stefi Antao from Stonehill College 8-6 to advance to the main draw. Rosberg advanced to the semifinals behind four-consecutive straight-set triumphs, defeating Lovisa Engstrand from Queens College (6-4, 6-0), Nicole Kielen from Adelphia University (6-0, 6-1), Rohr from Southern New Hampshire (6-0, 6-3) and Oz from Le Moyne College (6-3, 6-0). In the semifinals against Maia Makal from Queens, the freshman's run came to end via a 6-0, 7-6 decision.
• Earning the fifth seed in the singles bracket, junior Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) earned a bye in the opening round of the main draw before besting Carla Mentrup from St. Thomas Aquinas College 6-3, 6-1. Karlsson Hantzis bowed out in the third round, falling 6-1, 6-2 to Christina Solorzaro-Valencia from Stonehill College.
• Besting Gabbie Soriano from the University of the Sciences to advance to the main draw, freshman Alexandra Dumitrescu (Spring, Texas) defeated Sam Ormesher from Stonehill before falling against Eliza Mulder from STAC in the second round of the main draw.
• Junior Ann Kathrin Wirlitsch (Dresden, Germany) overcame a 6-0 first set setback against Julia Chappell from Assumption College with a 6-3 second set and 11-9 tiebreaker game to advance to the second round, where she fell against Gabriella Sciarrotta from Queens 6-4, 6-2.
• Making her way into the main draw behind an 8-3 victory over Laura Freeman from Robert Wesleyan College and 8-6 decision against Laura Gil from Wilmington University (Del.), Palero retired from the singles bracket in the opening round after falling in her opening set against Nicole Stay from Adelphi.
• Opening play in the main draw as the ninth seed, junior Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) fell in a three-set battle against Birdie Oz from Le Moyne College 6-2, 6-7, 1-0.
• Junior Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nev.) outlasted Paula Guitterez from Dominican College (N.Y.) in the qualifying round 9-7 before an 8-0 setback against Oz.
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
• Besting the second-seeded pair of Gil and Ribalta from Wilmington 9-8 (13-11) in their debut, the duo of Rosberg and Palera prevailed against Shutko and Mulder from STAC 9-7 plus Dwyer and Andade 8-2 to make the quarterfinals. Cruising to an 8-2 victory over eighth-seeded duo Hubickova and Etienne from Southern New Hampshire in the semifinals, the Clippers' pair fell to Quagliardi and Kielen from Adelphi in the championship, 6-2, 6-1.
• Dumitrescu and Wirltisch's road to the quarterfinals featured victories against Queens' pairings of Wegener and Williams plus seventh-seed Brunetti and England by scores of 8-1 and 8-6, sandwiching a 9-7 triumph against Garcia Valle and Hortelano Pey from Goldey-Beacom College. The duo's run was thwarted in the quarterfinals against Quagliardi and Kielen from SNHU in an 8-1 contest.
• Entering the doubles bracket as the No. 1 seed, the pairing of Torres Martin and Karlsson Hantzis bested CACC foes Militec and Anwar from USciences 8-3 before bowing out in the round of 16 against Howick and Solorzano of Stonehill 8-5.
• Cruz and Jallas fell in the opening round to eighth-seed Hubickova and Etienne from Southern New Hampshire University.
The women's tennis team begins dual-match play on Thursday, Sept. 19 at Adelphi University.