MIDDLEBURY, Conn. – In a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Championship match that pitted the winningest program in the conference over the last decade agains the newest programs in the league, the Concordia College (N.Y.) women's tennis team fell to top-seeded Wilmington University (Del.) 4-0 on Sunday evening.
• Concordia finishes the fall campaign with an 11-4 record
• Wilmington improves to 9-4.
• Following the conclusion of the contest, sophomores Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) and Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) were named CACC All-Tournament Team. It is Karlsson Hantzis' second All-Tournament nod and Torres Martin's first.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• At the second doubles position, senior Kristel Kalm (Stockholm, Sweden) and sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nev.) fell 6-2 to the Wilmington duo Begona Gomar and Anushka Sathe.
• Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) and Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) bested Laura Gil and Andrea Ribalta at the first court 6-2.
• Karlsson Hantzis fell at the top flight 6-3, 6-2 to Gomar.
• Putschbach dropped a 6-2, 6-2 decision at the fifth position to Paya.
• Sta Cruz was upended on the sixth court 6-2, 6-3 against Ribalta to end the match.
• Kalm was able to force a third set at the second position with a 6-0 second set after a 7-5 setback in the opener before the match ended.
• Torres Martin's match was left unfinished with 7-6 (7-2) 4-3 lead on the third court.
• Mrewa dropped her opener at the fourth slot to Gil 7-6 while leading her second 5-3 before the match was called.
The women's tennis team will return to action in the spring of 2019.