BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College women's tennis team began its Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) docket on Tuesday afternoon against Caldwell University, besting the visiting Cougars 7-0.
• Concordia improves to 2-1 overall, 1-0 in CACC action.
• Caldwell drops to 0-2, 0-2 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Concordia set the tone for the match in doubles play, claiming a 6-0 victory from senior Tadi Mrewa (East London, South Africa) and sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nev.) over Barbara Kelly and Jaime Nemeth on court three with 6-1 decisions from senior Kristel Kalm (Stockholm, Sweden) and Franziska Putschbach (Moenchweiler, Germany) against Kiana Wiggins and Lauryn Schwint at the top flight and sophomores Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) and Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) over Janis Jimenez and Nina Griffin at the second slot to take the doubles point.
• Torres Martin carried the momentum into singles play, besting Schwint 6-1, 6-0 at the third position.
• Kalm followed with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Wiggins on court two.
• Putschbach clinched the match result for Concordia with a 6-0, 6-0 outing at the fourth flight against Griffin.
• Karksson Hantzis outlasted Jimenez 6-3, 6-4 for her first victory at the top position this season.
• Sta Cruz bested Nemeth in a pro-style set 8-0 on court six.
• Freshman Hillary Sherpa remained undefeated in dual match play with a 6-0, 6-0 victory against Kelly at the fifth slot to end the afternoon.
Concordia continues CACC play on Saturday, Sept. 22 at Holy Family.