BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Sophomore guard Saundra Cleckley (Queens, N.Y.) matched a pair of career-highs on Wednesday afternoon with nine rebounds and seven assists, but the Concordia College New York women's basketball team was unable to defeat visiting Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) North Division foe Bloomfield College in a 70-62 setback.
• Concordia falls to 4-16, 2-9 in CACC play.
• Bloomfield improves to 5-15, 4-7 in league action.
• Four of Cleckley's team-leading nine rebounds came on the offensive end.
• Sophomore guard Cameron Corbett (Staten Island, N.Y.) scored a team-high 18 points with six rebounds, two assists and a steal.
• Freshman guard Sara Hopkins (Mountain Top, Pa.) chipped in 13 points with six assists.
• Junior guard Nicole Nicholson (Staten Island, N.Y.) scored 14 points on 6-12 shooting with two steals and a block.
• For Bloomfield, Jaylah Bennett scored 23 points while Jonise Ledbetter tallied seven rebounds and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Trailing early 4-2, the Clippers used a 9-0 run to take an 11-4 lead with 5:11 remaining in the quarter. BC ended the run with a triple, evening the score at 13-all and ending the frame with back-to-back baskets to create a 19-15 advantage.
• Concordia used a Hopkins free throw to make it a one-possession contest, and made it a two-point game at 22-20 only for a 9-0 run by the Bears extending the separation to 31-20 with 2:59 remaining in the quarter. Corbett connected on a free throw to end the visitors' run, with the two sides splitting the ensuing eight points to keep the 10-point gap before a Nicholson shot at the buzzer made it 35-27 at the half.
• The Clippers began the third quarter with a 7-4 stretch to cut into the separation and make it 39-34, but the Bears responded with a 12-0 run to make it 51-34 with 3:12 remaining in the frame. The Bears created a game-high 18-point lead at 54-36 with 1:20 remaining in the quarter, with a Corbett triple and jumper sandwiching a pair of BC free throws making it 56-41 going into the final stanza.
• After splitting the opening 10 points of the final quarter, back-to-back-to-back three pointer from Nicholson and Hopkins made it 61-55 with 4:51 remaining in the contest. BC ended the run, and managed to recreate its double-digit advantage at 70-59 with a late Corbett triple creating the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 22-57 shots, going 9-28 from three-point territory and 9-14 from the free throw line.
• Bloomfield finished 23-60 from the field, 9-18 from distance and 15-21 from the free throw line.
• The Clippers dished out 20 assists versus 16 for the visitors.
• Concordia committed 11 turnovers, resulting in 12 points for BC. The Bears committed 12 turnovers, leading to 15 points.
• Bloomfield held a 42-33 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia got four points from its bench while Bloomfield got 18.
• Concordia recorded four steals with four blocks while Bloomfield stole the ball five times with two blocks.
The women's basketball team hits the road to take on Holy Family University on Saturday, Feb. 2 in a 1 p.m. CACC contest.