BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Freshman first baseman Ashdon Clark (Gouldsboro, Pa.) hit her first home run at the Clipper Softball Field in the second outing of Saturday afternoon's Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader, giving the Concordia College New York softball team a lead in the bottom of the first that they maintained until a late rally from Wilmington University (Del.) flipped the advantage in an 8-4 setback after the visiting Wildcats took the opener 4-0.
• Concordia falls to 9-13 overall, 5-9 in CACC play.
• Wilmington improves to 23-9, 10-2 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Freshman right fielder Jordan Bordonaro (Lake Grove, N.Y.) went 1-3.
• Senior catcher Tori Tansley (Old Forge, Pa.) went 1-3.
• Sophomore RHP Ashley Walsh (Scranton, Pa.) tossed a complete game, allowing four runs with two earned off nine hits with one strikeout and three walks.
• For Wilmington, Makayla McCarthy went 2-3 with one RBI while Courtney Dellinger went 2-4 with one run scored. Caitlyn Whiteside received the win on the mound, holding the Clippers to two hits over 7.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Leading off the top of the first with a base on balls and reaching third off a pair of stolen bases, Rosa'Lynn Burton touched home plate on a Kiana Broderson-Jones sacrifice fly to give Wilmington a 1-0 lead.
• Opening the top of the second with a walk, Dellinger rounded the bases on a Clippers' throwing error to extend the separation to 2-0.
• Reaching base with a leadoff double in the top of the third, Broaderson-Jone scored off a one-out single from McCarthy to make it 3-0.
• Wilmington took advantage of a Clippers' error in the top of the fourth to plate Courtney Dellinger and take a 4-0 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia tallied two hits while the Wildcats had nine.
• The Clippers left three runner on base, Wilmington stranded nine.
• Concordia recorded three errors.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Clark went 1-3 with her second home run of the season, two RBI and one walk.
• Senior catcher Allison Beltz (Whitehall, Pa.) went 2-3.
• Junior RHP MacKenna Powell (Milford, Pa.) got the start, allowing six runs with three earned off seven hits in 6.0 innings while striking out two batters and walking three.
• For Wilmington, Lauren Lopez went 2-4 with a home run and two RBI while Dellinger went 2-3 with two runs scored and one RBI. McCarthy earned the win on the mound, allowing four runs with two earned off eight hits in 7.0 with nine strikeouts and three walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Leading off the top of the first with a single, Burton scored off a Dellinger base hit to make it 1-0.
• Leading off the bottom of the first with a walk, Bordonaro rounded the bases off a two-out home run from Clark to give the Clippers a 2-1 advantage.
• Reaching base with a leadoff walk in the top of the fifth, Velasquez scored off a Davila single before a bases-loaded single from McCarthy platted Davila and Dellinger and Clippers error sent Broderson-Jone and McCarthy home to create a 6-2 score.
• Wilmington added a pair of runs to its lead in the top of the seventh off a two-run homer from Lopez to take an 8-2 lead.
• Concordia capitalized on a Wildcats' error with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, scoring freshman second baseman Ellen Little (Port Deposit, Md.) and freshman left fielder Carly Berezny (Oxford, N.J.) to make it 8-4.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Both sides recorded eight hits.
• The Clippers left eight runners on base, Wilmington stranded four.
• Concordia committed two errors, the Wildcats had three.
The softball team hits the road to take on Felician University for a conference doubleheader on Wednesday, April 10 with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.