CLERMONT, Fla. – Freshman left fielder Carly Berezny (Oxford, N.J.) recorded hits in each of her first two collegiate contests on Wednesday evening with sophomore third baseman Carly Acuña (North Hills, Calif.) also tallying a hit in both, as the Concordia College New York softball team began its 2019 campaign with a pair of 8-0 setbacks to the College of Saint Rose and Wayne State (Ned.).
• Concordia falls to 0-2.
• Saint Rose improves to 6-6.
• Wayne State improves to 6-6.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Berezny went 1-2 with a stolen base.
• Senior catcher Allison Beltz (Whitehall, Pa.) went 1-2.
• Carly went 1-2.
• Junior RHP MacKenna Powell (Milford, Pa.) got the start, striking out three Golden Knights while allowing eight runs off eight hits.
• For Saint Rose, Ryane Brush went 1-3 with a home run while Savanna Liverio went 2-3 with three RBI. On the mound, Samantha Allen tossed a complete game with three hits allowed and five strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Brush hit a one-out solo home run in the top of the first to give Saint Rose the 1-0 lead.
• Leading off the top of the fifth with a single, Katie Drogo touched home plate off a Liverio single while a base hit for Taylor Matlock platted Erin Myler to extend the separation to 3-0.
• Loading the bases with no outs in the top of the sixth, Saint Rose scored five runs to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia tallied three hits while the Golden Knights had nine.
• The Clippers left one runner on base, Saint Rose stranded seven.
• Concordia committed one error.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Berezny went 1-2.
• Acuña went 1-2.
• On the mound, sophomore righty Ashley Walsh (Scranton, Pa.) made her Concordia debut, allowing eight runs with two earned off 14 hits with a pair of strikeouts.
• For Wayne State, Taylor Menard went 2-3 with a triple and two runs scored while Abbie Hix also went 2-3 with a pair of runs scored. On the mound, Makenna Adkison struck out six Clippers in the complete game.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Using three-straight singles to load the bases with no outs in the bottom of the second, a Clippers' error allowed a pair of runs to score with the Wildcats adding one more in the frame to hold a 3-0 lead.
• Wayne State took advantage of two Concordia errors with two outs in the bottom of the third to double its lead at 6-0.
• Leading off the bottom of the fifth with a triple, Wayne State used four-straight base hits to score two runs and end the contest.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied two hits while the Wildcats had 14.
• The Clippers left two runners on base, Wayne State stranded six.
• Concordia committed four errors.
The softball team returns to action with a doubleheader on Thursday, Mar. 7 against Walsh University and Concordia University – St. Paul starting at 3:45 p.m.