STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – After battling to a 2-2 draw in 90 minutes of regulation play, the Concordia College New York men's soccer team used a strike from junior forward Nemanja Zivanovic (Belgrade, Serbia) in the 100th minute to defeat host College of Staten Island on Wednesday afternoon 3-2.
• Concordia improves to 1-1.
• Staten Island falls to 1-2.
• Zivanovic scored two goals on as many shot attempts.
• Junior midfielder Alessandro Battaglia (White Plains, N.Y.) scored one goal while taking two shots.
• Junior forward Dennis Limani (Norderstedt, Germany) took a team-high five shots with two on target.
• Junior keeper Mikael Varin (Toulouse, France) stopped three shots en route to his first victory at Concordia.
• For Staten Island, Carlos Montesinos and Joe Bolella scored while Philip Lefkowitz Breny Salas tallied an assist.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The host went into halftime with a 1-0 lead after Lefkowitz found Montesinos in the 41st minute.
• Battaglia got the rebound off his own shot attempt in the 47th minute and fired the ball past the Dolphins' keeper to even the score at 1-all.
• Zivanovic pushed the ball down the right side of the field in the 50th minute, scoring the game-winning goal.
• Bolella knotted the score in the 87th minute off a pass from Salas.
• Zivanovic scored the game winning goal off a long-range strike in the 100th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Concordia took 15 shots with six on target, CSI took nine with five on goal.
• Both teams took five corner kicks.
• Concordia received four cautions while Staten Island received two.
The Clippers venture to Stonehill College on Saturday, Sept. 14 for a 4 p.m. contest.