EASTON, MASS. – The Concordia College Men's Soccer team began its 2018 campaign on Saturday afternoon at Stonehill College, drawing with the host Skyhawks 2-2.
• Concordia improves to 0-0-1 on the season.
• Stonehill moves to 1-0-1.
• It's the third time in program history the team opened up the season with a tie and the first since the 2010 campaign.
• Freshman forward Marlon Buck (Vienna Austria) scored his first collegiate goal on a penalty kick, becoming the ninth Clipper to connect on a PK since 2003.
• Sophomore Dennis Limani (Norderstedt, Germany) scored one goal on two attempts.
• Senior goalie Jaime Gonzalez (Madrid, Spain) recorded five saves with two goals allowed in 110 minuts.
• Junior forward Freddy Nava took a team-best two shots on goal.
• For Stone Hill, Mattew Mesiti and Trevor Tubbs both scored one goal with Alejandro Leal providing an assist.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Concordia took the lead in the 30th minute, as Buck received a penalty kick after drawing a foul inside the 18-yard box and placed the ball past the Skyhawks' keeper to make it 1-0.
• The Clippers added to their lead in the 34th minute, with Limani scoring from just inside the 18-yard box for his first goal of the season.
• Stonehill cut into the separation before halftime with a goal from Mesiti in the 37th minute off the rebound from Leal's attempt, making it 2-1.
• After 47 minutes of scoreless action, Stonehill found the equalizer goal in the 84th minute from Tubbs.
• The hosts had two shots in the final six minutes, with one hitting the crossbar and the other being blocked. Concordia's lone attempt at ending the match in regulation went high in the final minute, sending the contest to overtime with a 2-2 score.
• Neither side managed a shot attempt in the first overtime period, sending the contest into the second overtime period.
• Concordia outshot Stonehill 3-2 in the second overtime period, with Nava providing the only shot on target.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Concordia recorded 13 shot, four on goal versus 25 with eight on target for Stonehill.
• Stonehill held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.
• Both sides received two cautions
The men's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at Southern Connecticut State. Start time is slated for 7 p.m.