NYACK, N.Y. – Despite outscoring host Nyack College in the second half of Tuesday evening's Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) contest, the Concordia College New York men's basketball team was unable to overcome a strong start by the host in an 84-63 setback.
• Concordia falls to 3-15, 2-7 in league play.
• Nyack improves to 9-8, 4-5 in CACC action.
• Freshman guard Dion Herrington (Englewood, N.J.) scored a team-high 14 points with five rebounds, two assists and one block.
• Sophomore guard Devon Sims (Centreville, Va.) chipped in 13 points with a team-high nine rebounds and one steal.
• Junior guard Jared Young (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) dished out a team-high three assists with one steal.
• Senior forward Jesse Breeding (Cortland Manor, N.Y.) scored 10 points.
• For Nyack, Joel Bailey scored 16 points with Junior Graham pulling down 14 rebounds and D'ondre Dent tallying four assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Nyack scored the opening five points of the contest via a triple and layup before a Breeding triple got the Clippers on the scoreboard and made it 5-3 with 18:37 left in the first half.
• The two sides split the ensuing 10 points to maintain the two-point separation before a 5-0 Nyack spurt gave the host a 15-8 advantage with 13:19 remaining in the half.
• Nyack used a 6-0 run to create a double-digit lead at 23-11, responding to a pair of senior guard Brandon Fields (Washington, D.C.) free throws with eight-straight points to boast a 31-13 lead with 8:30 left in the half.
• Concordia scored seven of the ensuing 10 points to cut into the deficit at 34-20, but a 5-0 spurt from the host extending the gap to 39-20 with 5:35 remaining in the half.
• Concordia ended the run off a pair of Sims free throws, only for a 6-0 Nyack run making it 45-22 with 1:36 left in the half.
• Each side added five points to its total in the final minute, with freshman forward Dan Porcic (Putnam, Conn.) connecting on a triple at the buzzer to create a 50-27 halftime score.
• Concordia responded to a 7-3 start from Nyack with an 11-2 run to make it 59-41 with 9:44 left in the game.
• A Breeding free throw and Herrington layup sandwiched by a pair of three-point point sprees made it 65-44, with neither side connecting on consecutive baskets until back-to-back layups from Sims forced a 71-55 score with 2:32 remaining.
• After splitting the following eight points, Nyack scored eighth-straight to pull ahead 81-59 with 46 seconds remaining.
• Redshirt-freshman guard Fabian Rial (Bayamon, P.R.) scored four points in the final minute for Concordia, while Nyack added three to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted 19-57 shots, going 6-15 from three-point territory and 19-24 from the free throw line.
• Nyack finished 26-58 from the field, 10-28 from distance and 22-30 from the free throw line.
• Concordia recorded six assists while Nyack had 22.
• Nyack held a 42-34 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia committed 18 turnovers, resulting in 26 points for the Warriors. Nyack had 18 turnovers, leading to 10 points.
• Concordia' bench scored 14 points while the host got 40 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded three steals with two blocks while Nyack stole the ball five times with seven blocks.
The men's basketball team hosts Holy Family University on Sunday, Jan. 26 in a 3 p.m. contests.