BRONXVILLE, N.Y. –Senior forward Jesse Breeding (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) recorded his first collegiate double-double on Saturday afternoon, scoring a personal-best 23 points with a career-high 15 rebounds in a 72-65 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) setback against visiting University of the Sciences.
• Concordia falls to 1-12, 0-4 in league play.
• USciences improves to 3-9, 1-4 in CACC action.
• Breeding connected on a career-high seven field goals and eight free throws while eight of his rebounds came off the offensive glass.
• Junior guard Jared Young (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) dished out a team-high three assists.
• Freshmanforward Dan Porcic (Putnam, Conn.) scored 14 points, 12 coming off four three pointers, with seven rebounds.
• Freshman guard Dion Herrington (Englewood, N.J.) contributed three assists.
• Sophomore forward Devon Sims (Centreville, Va.) pulled down eight rebounds with eight points and three steals.
• For USciences, Sean Simon scored 20 points while Paddy Casey boasted eight rebounds and six assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• USciences scored the opening seven points of the contest before Concordia got on the scoreboard off a Herrington layup to make it 7-2 with 17:07 remaining.
• The Devils responded with a 7-0 run to create a double-digit separation, but a quick triple from Porcic and jumper from Breeding made it 14-7 with 13:10 left in the half.
• The visitors recreated the double-digit gap off a 5-2 spurt, with the two sides exchanging baskets to maintain the 10-point deficit before a 16-7 rally by the Clippers made it a one-point affair at 28-27 with 4:00 minutes remaining in the half.
• USciences ended the half on an 8-3 run to go into halftime with a 36-30 score.
• Following a quick 5-2 start to the second half by USciences, the Clippers used a 13-0 run to boast a 45-41 advantage with 14:01 to play.
• The Devils used a 6-0 run to reclaim the lead before a Breeding layup knotted the score at 47-all with 11:38 left to play.
• USciences used a triple and layup back-to-back to take a slim five-point lead, with the two sides splitting the ensuing 16 points to maintain the separation at 60-55 with 5:03 remaining.
• The Clippers rallied to make it a two-point affair at 67-65 with 1:38 remaining, but the visitors ended the contest with the final five points to fend off the comeback.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 23-76 shots, going 5-34 from three-point territory and 14-21 from the free throw line.
• USciences finished 28-58 from the field, 7-21 from distance and 9-16 from the free throw line.
• Concordia recorded 14 assists while Usciences had 21.
• Concordia held a 48-42 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia committed 11 turnovers, resulting in 16 points for the Devils. USciences had 17 turnovers, leading to 14 points.
• Concordia' bench scored 22 points while the visitors got 10 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded seven steals while Usciences stole the ball five times with seven blocks.
The men's basketball team hits the road to take on Caldwell University on Wednesday, Jan. 8 in a 7:30 p.m. CACC contest.