BLOOMFIELD, N.J. – The Concordia College (N.Y.) men's basketball used a 9-2 rally in the final minutes of play on Wednesday evening to get within one point of host Bloomfield College with 11 seconds remaining, but could not complete the comeback against the Bears in a 75-73 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) contest.
• Concordia drops to 4-8 overall, 1-3 in conference play.
• Bloomfield improves to 5-7, 3-0 in CACC action.
• Sophomore forward Alex White Jr. (Middleton, Conn.) matched his career-high with 20 points on top of a team-leading eight rebounds and one block.
• Redshirt senior guard Cedrick McFadden (Washington, D.C.) scored 20 points with six rebounds and five assists.
• For Bloomfield, Kevione Green recorded a double-double behind 23 points and 10 rebounds while Rich Champan also tallied a double-double with 15 points and 11 board.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• White Jr. got Concordia on the scoreboard with the opening basket of the game, but a quick 6-0 response from Bloomfield created a 6-2 score with 18:06 remaining in the half.
• White Jr. ended the run with basket, with a McFadden triple following a Bears' basket making it a one-point game at 8-7 before a 9-2 stretch for the host extended the separation to 17-9 with 14:27 left in the half.
• The Bears created a double-digit lead at 26-15, and led by as many as 14 in the first half but Concordia ended the stanza on a 5-2 run with McFadden and sophomore forward Kyle Parris (Old Bridge, N.J.) scoring to make it 37-30 at the break.
• After exchanging baskets to begin the second half, a triple from junior forward Jesse Breeding (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) and jump shot from sophomore guard Jared Young (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) made it a one-possession contest at 39-37 with 18 minutes left to play.
• Bloomfield quickly added a cushion to its lead behind back-to-back triples, but a three pointer from freshman forward Devon Sims (Centreville, Va.) and layup from White Jr. made it 45-42 with 13:58 remaining.
• The Bears tried again to pull away, using a 6-2 stretch to take a 51-44 advantage but Concordia brought the deficit back to three at 55-52 with 9:50 remaining.
• The two sides went back and forth, splitting the ensuing 20 points before a 7-2 BC run created a 72-64 score with 2:47 remaining.
• Concordia forced a one-point game at 74-73 with 11 seconds left after a White Jr. triple capped off a 9-2 rally and got the ball back with a chance to win trailing 75-73 but missed the game-winning three pointer with two seconds left.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 26-61 shots, going 10-28 from three-point territory and 11-22 from the free throw line.
• Bloomfield finished 29-72 from the field, 8-27 from distance and 9-18 from the free throw line.
• Concordia dished out 10 assists versus 18 for the hosts.
• Concordia committed eight turnovers, resulting in 10 points for BC. The Bears committed 11 turnovers, leading to six Clippers' points.
• Bloomfield held a 55-34 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia' bench scored eight points while Bloomfield got 18 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded four steals and two blocks while Bloomfield stole the ball twice with one block.
The Clippers returns to the Meyer Athletic Center for a three-game homestand, starting on Saturday, Jan. 5 against Goldey-Beacom College in a 3 p.m. CACC match.
For the latest on Concordia athletics, find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.