MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Concordia College New York baseball team began its 2020 season on Friday afternoon, using a 10-run fourth inning and walk-off single from senior designated hitter Peter Lawless (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) to defeat Molloy College 13-12 after falling in the opening 10-2.
• Concordia moves to 1-1.
• Molloy moves to 1-1.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Senior designated hitter Joseph Impeduglia (Staten Island, N.Y.) went 2-3 with a triple, runs scored and walk.
• Senior catcher Hermes Abreu (Bay Shore, N.Y.) recorded an RBI.
• Junior right fielder Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.) scored a run.
• Senior righty Patrick Rivera (Almont, N.Y.) got the start in the season opener, allowing three runs off four hits with four strikeouts and three walks in 5.1 innings of work.
• Freshman righty Noel Vazquez (Washington Heights, N.Y.) tossed a scoreless inning.
• For Molloy, Jake McCarthy went 4-5 at the plate with two doubles, two runs scored and one RBI while Joe Minucci got the win after tossing 6.0 innings with two runs allowed and six strikeouts and Charlie Cucchiara earned the save after throwing the final three innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Reaching base on a one-out triple in the top of the fourth, Impeduglia scored for the Clippers' first run of the season off an Abreu sacrifice fly to make it 1-0.
• Leading off the top of the sixth with a hit by pitch, Partridge touched home plate on a double play to extend Concordia's lead to 2-0.
• Molloy used three hits and two walks in the bottom of the sixth to score four runs before a pair of Clippers' error allowed three more Lions to round the bases and create a 7-2 score.
• Four-straight hits from Molloy with two outs in the bottom of the seventh platted a trio of Lions to make it 10-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia recorded four hits while Molloy tallied 15.
• The Clippers left five runners on base while Molloy stranded 12.
• Concordia committed two errors, allowing three runs to score. Molloy had one error.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Sophomore left fielder Matt Rinaldi (Eastchester, N.Y.) went 2-4 with a RBI, run scored and walk.
• Impeduglia went 2-4 with a RBI, run scored and walk.
• Freshman shortstop Jordan Rios (Deer Park, N.Y.) recorded his first collegiate multi-hit outing behind a 2-3 showing with a RBI and run scored.
• Senior second baseman Kendell Luquis (New Rochelle, N.Y.) went 1-3 with a double, three RBI and one run.
• Sophomore third baseman AJ Gonzalez (Carmel, N.Y.) went 1-4 with a double, two RBI and one run scored.
• Freshman right fielder Leo Alvarez (Oceanside, N.Y.) went 1-3 with a triple, two RBI and two runs.
• Partridge rounded the bases twice.
• Sophomore Sean Malamud (Staten Island, N.Y.) got the victory after tossing a scoreless seventh inning.
• Sophomore Logan Vallas (East Northport, N.Y.) threw 5.0 innings with two runs, one earned, off five hits with three strikeouts.
• For Molloy, Matt Overton went 2-3 at the plate with two RBI and one run while Peter Theodorellis received the loss after allowing the game-winning run to score with 3.0 innings pitched overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Opening the second game with three-straight walks to load the bases with no outs, Molloy used a RBI groundout, double and single to score four runs in the top of the first to take an early 4-0 lead.
• Molloy capitalized on a Clippers' throwing error with no outs in the top of the second to send a runner home, sparking a seven-run frame to create an 11-0 separation.
• Leading off the bottom of the second with a base hit, senior catcher Denny DeLos Santos (Queens, N.Y.) sent Abreu home off a one-out double to make it 11-1.
• Concordia took advantage of a Molloy error with two outs in the bottom of the third to send Partridge home and make it 11-2.
• Loading the bases with no outs in the bottom of the fourth following three-straight walks, Luquis blasted a bases-clearing double to score Alvarez, Santos and Rios. Concordia loaded the bases again in the stanza off a Molloy error and walk before an Impeduglia single and Gonzalez double back-to-back platted Luquis, Rinaldi and Partridge. A one-out triple from Alvarez sent Impeduglia and Gonzalez home, while singles from Rios and Rinaldi scored Alvares and Santos and capped a 10-run frame that propelled Concordia to a 12-11 advantage.
• Leading off the top of the sixth with a single, Molloy knotted the score at 12-all off a two-out single.
• Concordia loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh with one out off three walks before Lawless' single scored senior pinch runner Frank Coste (Queens, N.Y.) to end the contest.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia recorded 12 hits while Molloy tallied eight.
• The Clippers left six runners on base while Molloy stranded two.
• Concordia committed two errors, allowing five runs to score. Molloy had two error, leading to two runs.
The baseball continues play in S.C. on Saturday, Feb. 22 with an 11 a.m. contest against Stonehill College.