BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College New York rallied back from a 10-0 deficit in the opening contest of Saturday afternoon's Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader, scoring seven runs over the final three frames and getting the tying run at the plate with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, but the comeback fell short in an 11-7 setback to the University of the Sciences before falling in the second outing 8-1.
• Concordia falls to 8-19, 3-9 in CACC play.
• USciences moves to 11-14, 7-5 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Junior third baseman Kendell Luquis (New Rochelle, N.Y.) went 3-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.
• Senior right fielder Jaylin Martinez (Paramus, N.J.) went 2-5 with two run scored.
• Freshman designated hitter Matt Rinaldi (Eastchester, N.Y.) went 2-5 with one RBI.
• Freshman RHP Sean Malamud (Staten Island, N.Y.) got the start, allowing six runs off five hits in 1.2 innings.
• Junior RHP Patrick Rivera (Elmont, N.Y.) tossed a team-high 4.1 innings, allowing four runs with two earned off seven hits with three strikeouts.
• For USciences, Chris Anderson went 4-5 while Nate Steele went 2-5 with three runs scored and one RBI. John Michael Sabatino got the start, allowing six runs off 13 hits with two strikeouts in 8.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• USciences used six base hits, a walk and hit by pitch to score six runs in the top of the second to take an early 6-0 lead.
• Leading off the top of the third with a double, Justin Skinner and Steele rounded the bases off a Matt McClennen base hit to make it 8-0.
• The Devils took advantage of a Clippers' error in the top of the third, scoring Nick Amicon off a Chris Anderson single to take a 9-0 advantage.
• Amicon rounded the bases for USciences in the top of the sixth via a Clippers' error to push the visitors ahead 10-0.
• Three-consecutive singles from Martinez, Luquis and junior center fielder Nick Vlahakis (Oceanside, N.Y.) to start the bottom of the seventh scored Martinez, with a one-out double from senior shortstop Tyler Epple (Levittown, N.Y.) platting Luquis and Vlahakis to make it 10-3.
• Concordia opened the bottom of the eighth with hit by pitch for sophomore second baseman Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.) and double form Martinez, sending Partridge home on a single from Luquis and Martinez on an UScience balk before a Rinaldi groundout platted Luquis to make it 10-6.
• Leading off the top of the ninth with a runner on base via an error, UScience added an insurance run with Steele touching home plate off a Ryan Johnson single to take an 11-6 edge.
• Concordia loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the ninth, but only managed to score one run in junior first baseman Joseph Impeduglia (Staten Island, N.Y.) on a hit by pitch for Luquis to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia recorded 13 hits while the Devils had 14.
• The Clippers left 12 runners on base, USciences stranded nine.
• Concordia committed five errors.
• USciences stole four bases.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Impeduglia went 1-2 with a RBI and walk.
• Junior first baseman Peter Lawless (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) went 1-2.
• Junior RHP Jacob Bannon (Glendale, N.Y.) got the start on the mound, allowing five runs off eight hits in 3.0 innings with two strikeouts.
• Junior RHP Enrico Locascio (Staten Island, N.Y.) tossed the final two innings, holding USciences to one hit.
• For USciences, Skinner went 2-4 with two runs scored and one RBI while Amicon went 2-3 with two RBI and one run scored. Austin Blumetti tossed the opening 4.0 innings, allowing one run off three hits with three strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Leading off the bottom of the first with a base on balls, Vlahakis scored off an Impeduglia single to take a 1-0 lead.
• Opening the second frame with a single, Skinner rounded the bases on a one-out single from Brian Magee to even the score at 1-1
• Getting a pair of runners on base via back-to-back hit by pitches, the Devils used four-consecutive hits from Anderson, Skinner, Steele and Magee to score four runs and pull ahead 5-1.
• USciences added three insurance runs to its lead in the top of the fifth, using a Clippers' balk and triple from Amicon to score Magee, Johnson and McClennen and create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia recorded three hits, the Devils tallied 13.
• The Clippers left four runners on base, USciences stranded eight.
• USciences committed one error.
• Both sides stole one base.
The baseball team hosts the Dominican College (N.Y.) in the first of two conference doubleheaders on Wednesday, April 3 with first pitch slated for 1 p.m.