BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College (N.Y.) women's tennis team moved one step closer to its eighth Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) title on Tuesday afternoon, defeating sixth-seeded Jefferson University 4-0 at the Meyers Tennis Center in the first round of the CACC Championship.
• Concordia improves to 10-2 overall
• Jefferson falls to 5-7
HOW IT HAPPENED
• At the third doubles flight, Senior Tadi Mrewa (East London, South Africa) and sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nev.) bested Ines Blanc and Katelyn High 6-2.
• Sophomores Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) and Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) clinched the doubles point for Concordia with a 6-2 triumph over Chang Wei and Mille Coombes at the second position.
• At the top singles position, sophomore Franziska Putschbach (Moenchweiler, Germany) and freshman Hillary Sherpa's (Ridgefield, Conn) match against Marta Yevstakhevych and Lauren Candia was left unfinished at 4-2 due to the doubles point being decided.
• Mrewa won her singles match in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-2, over Candia on the third court.
• Karlsson Hantzis prevailed over Wei at the first slot in a three-set battle 6-1, 3-6, 6-4.
• Torres Martin ended the match with a three-set triumph over Yevstakhevych via a 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 decision at the second flight.
• Putschbach started her match at the fourth singles position before the victory was clinched, leaving her contest against Coombes unfinished.
Concordia moves onto the semifinals, where second-seed Goldey-Beacom College awaits on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 1 p.m. at the Edgewood Bath & Tennis Club in Middlebury, Conn.