BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College (N.Y.) women's tennis team hosted Goldey-Beacom College on Friday afternoon in a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) matchup, with the No. 33 Clippers snapping the visiting Lightning's' 23-match win streak in conference play behind a 4-3 victory.
• Concordia improves to 9-2 overall, 7-1 in CACC play.
• Goldey-Beacom falls to 7-1, 6-1 in league action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• At the third doubles flight, freshman Hillary Sherpa (Ridgefield, Conn.) and sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nev.) fell to the Lightnings' Kristin Radeke and Anna Hortelano Pey 6-0.
• Sophomore Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) and Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) bested the GBC duo of Lotte Lesscher y Post and Catarina Zheng 6-2 for the pair's first triumph at the top position this season.
• Concordia won the doubles point win a 6-3 victory for sophomore Franziska Putschbach's (Moenchweiler, Germany) and senior Tadi Mrewa (East London, South Africa) over Silvia Hortelano Oey and Maria Bruno on the second court.
• Karlsson Hantzis handed Post her first singles loss in dual-match play this season with a 6-4, 6-2 straight-set triumph on the first court.
• Mrewa rebounded from a 3-6 setback in her opening set at the third position with a 6-1 second frame and 6-0 third against A. Hortelano Pey to finish conference play undefeated in singles.
• Torres Martin clinched the match victory for Concordia with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 three-set victory over Zheng.
• Sherpa fell in straight-sets Anderson 7-5, 6-1.
• Putschbach lost her opener 6-4 at the fourth flight against Bruno but was able to extend the match with a 6-4 second-frame win before falling in the super tiebreaker 10-4
• Sta Cruz ended the match4with a 6-3, 6-4 setback against Fresneda on court six.
Concordia finished its CACC schedule and awaits its seeding in the CACC Championship. First round for the conference championship is Tuesday, Oct. 16, with the semifinals on Saturday, Sept. 20.