BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Despite holding the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference's (CACC) top-scoring team entering Saturday 14 points under its average, the Concordia College New York Men's Basketball's team's attempt to hand visiting Goldey-Beacom College its first conference loss of season fell short in a 69-65 decision.
• Concordia drops to 4-9 overall, 1-4 in conference play.
• Goldey-Beacom improves to 7-6, 5-0 in league action.
• Sophomore forward Alex White Jr. (Middleton, Conn.) chipped in 11 points with a team-high nine rebounds.
• Redshirt senior guard Cedrick McFadden (Washington, D.C.) dished out a team-leading seven assists.
• Freshman forward Devon Sims (Centreville, Va.) recorded a career-high three steals.
• For Goldey-Beacom, Kyle Elliot scored 20 points while Marcellus Livingston recorded a double-double behind 15 points and 10 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• After exchanging the opening eight points for a 4-4 standstill, Goldey-Beacom used a 10-1 stretch to take a 14-5 lead with 14:39 remaining in the half.
• Sims ended the run with a pair of free throws, while a Cethoute layup and senior guard Michael Demello (White Plains, N.Y.) three point cut the deficit down to two at 14-12 with 12:50 to go.
• GBC responded to the run with back-to-back baskets only for another Demello triple and fast-break dunk for White Jr. making it a one-point game at 18-17 with 11:16 to go.
• Concordia managed to keep it a one-possession game until a 12-4 run for the visitors created a double-digit deficit at 36-25 with 6:07 remaining in the half.
• The Clippers quickly brought the separation down to single digits off a Cethoute layup, but the Lightning ended the half with six of the final 10 points to hold a 42-29 advantage.
• Concordia used a 7-3 start to the second half to cut into the separation and make it 45-36, but a 12-5 retort created a game-high 16-point lead for the Lightning at 57-41 with 10:53 remaining.
• A senior forward Stephen Milhaven three pointer sparked a quick 9-0 run to make it 57-50, with the Clippers getting within four at 62-58 before a three-point play for GBC made it 65-58 with 3:17 to play.
• Demello responded to the three-point play with a three pointer, while a McFadden layup with 1:15 remaining made it a two-point contest at 65-63.
• Concordia managed to force a Goldey-Beacom turnover on their ensuing possession, giving the host a chance to even the score or take the lead but a Clipper turnover ended the comeback attempt.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 22-67 shots, going 7-29 from three-point territory and 14-19 from the free throw line.
• Goldey-Beacom finished 24-58 from the field, 4-21 from distance and 17-18 from the free throw line.
• Concordia dished out 15 assists versus 10 for the visitors.
• Concordia committed 15 turnovers, resulting in 18 points for GBC. The Lightning committed 19 turnovers, leading to 15 Clippers' points.
• Concordia held a 44-40 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia' bench scored 32 points while Bloomfield got 19 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded eight steals and three blocks while Goldey-Beacom stole the ball five times with one block.